On a recent evening at the southern edge of New York City, a car raced through a red light. Sometimes a driver can get away with such a dangerous maneuver, but this was not one of those times. As the Hyundai sped into the intersection of Avenue Z and Ocean Parkway, it was met by a much larger, much heavier vehicle.
The driver of the much larger and heavier Infiniti SUV walked away from the violent motor vehicle crash, declining medical attention, while the red-light-running Hyundai Sonata driver was hospitalized in critical condition.
The 10 pm collision was just north of Brighton Beach, Brooklyn’s southernmost tip.
Many drivers who have red lights and survived have afterwards said that they were late for a meeting or in a rush to get home or they were simply tired of stopping at intersections. Unfortunately, their impatience can cost them their lives or end the lives of innocent motorists or pedestrians.
Running red lights is one of the most common causes of motor vehicle accidents in New York City. Other common causes include the following:
- Distracted driving: when drivers pay more attention to their phones or infotainment system or GPS than to the other vehicles, signs or traffic signals
- Speeding: excess speed reduces or eliminates the time available in which to respond to sudden traffic events
- Impaired drivers: everyone should understand that drunk or drugged driving far too often results in crashes, severe injuries or deaths
- Aggressiveness: changing lanes abruptly, tailgating, passing in no-pass zone: all are examples of aggressive driving that can end in collisions
- Wrong–way driving: common on one-way streets and entrances to freeways, parkways, highways and interstates; often the result of drunk or distracted driving
- Construction zones: drivers will often speed through these zones or will pay more attention to their electronics than to other vehicles or to construction workers
If you or a member of your family has been harmed in a motor vehicle crash caused by a reckless or negligent driver, contact a New York City attorney experienced in obtaining full compensation in personal injury and wrongful death litigation.